Modern terraced housing Roof scape Detail of two adjoining houses Detail of window in brick wall Cast iron balcony Semi detached property

JMH Property Surveys

SAVA_CS Registered Member logo - Modern Flats

Independent Surveyor in Bristol, North Somerset, BANES and South Glos

RPSA_logo JMH PS Blue Elaborate doorway





If you are selling or renting out a domestic property or applying for a variety of energy related government loans and grants you will almost certainly need an Energy Performance Certificate. EPCs for existing properties are produced by a Domestic Energy Assessor who has to be a member of a Government approved Certification Scheme.


The EPC and accompanying Report tell you:


  • The property’s performance on the date it was inspected, rated in terms of the energy used per square metre of floor area. The higher the rating, the more efficient the home is and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.


  • The property's energy efficiency, based on fuel costs and environmental impact on Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. The higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.


  • The Report also suggests steps that you can take to improve the energy efficiency of your home, listed in order of potential cost and savings achieved. This means that it is an excellent starting point for improving the energy efficiency of your home even if you aren't planning to sell it or rent it out.


The DEA inspects the inside and outside of the main building and the visible parts of the gas and electricity services. He or she also inspects the loft if it is accessible. The inspection is ‘non-invasive’. This means that the DEA does not take up carpets, floor coverings or floorboards, move furniture or remove the contents of cupboards and you don't need to either.  However, the more parts of the building that can be seen, the more accurate will be the report.  


For more information about the EPC see the DirectGov website





picture of Energy Efficiency Rating table